Monday, October 22, 2012

Death and Torture

Kinda a spooky title I know.  But that is what the readings were on that we had this week.  Guess Sweeney is getting us in the mood for Halloween.

So Tuesday was the day we talked about death.  I will admit I did not read the reading, but we had a good time in class talking about it.  The reading was about this guy that had gotten the death penalty.  I do not know why he got that, but the story goes on to say that while he is on death row he changes and becomes a better person.  But in the end he still dies.  So we talked about if we thought the death penalty was a good or bad thing.  We concluded that the death penalty is good in certain cases like for serial killers, or for those who are mentally unstable and cannot be released into the world.  We then talked about if the death penalty was just a way of reducing the people in prisons (if it was cheaper to kill them for keep them in jail for life). 

Thursday was when we talked about torture.  Again I did not read like I should have, but oh well.  From what I got the reading was about if torture was the right thing to do or not.  I think in some cases you need torture.  But anyway Sweeney had us split into two groups and debate about it.  Again my class seems to get too involved in these debates and I thought we were going to have a fight on our hands.  We then did a grammar shammer, but at the moment I do not remember what it was about. 

Overall it was a good week in class.  Cannot wait to see what this week brings. 

4 comments:

  1. yeah it was a very spooky title im sad to admit i dont think many people read but you and i both should start to read the stories because they are very interesting i went back and read them by the way

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, we definately should start reading them! Because I feel bad that Sweeney gathers them for us & they go along with his lesson. WE LOVE HIM so lets all just read (;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like no one hardly ever reads the stories even though we would probably be better off if we did ! I found those two topics to be pretty interesting though ! Our class really does get wayy too involved in some of the debates ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Madison. Why dont people take the time to just read the stories and have our class discussions?

    ReplyDelete